“I always have the feeling that when Barcelona and Real Madrid knock on the door it is difficult to say no,” said Guardiola, a former player and former coach of the Barça club.
“When he knocked on my door and said he wanted to go, I told him to go. I want my players to be happy. If you are not happy, you have to go. We are not a club where presidents and CEOs say ‘no, you have to stay,’ “continued the 50-year-old Catalan coach.
“The players and the clubs have to agree, this is a business, but if the player wants to leave, he leaves,” said Guardiola.
Despite their financial difficulties, Barcelona reportedly reached a 55 million euro ($ 62 million) deal with the British entity to sign the Spanish attacker.
Torres, 22, has scored 16 goals in 43 games for Manchester City since joining from Valencia last year. In just one season, he conquered the Premier League, the League Cup and played the final of the Champions League.
But his second season with the ‘Citizens’ has been affected by a broken foot that has kept him off the pitch since October.
The manager also confirmed that Manchester City will not be looking for a forward in the January transfer market.
Guardiola updates the situation of Ferran Torres. 🎙️
— Manchester City (@ManCityES) December 23, 2021
Guardiola’s pupils, without a natural forward, have eight consecutive victories and are three points ahead of second, Liverpool.
So far, Manchester City has avoided the coronavirus outbreaks that have led to the postponement of 12 Premier League matches in the last two weeks, due to the increase in the number of infections from the omicron variant.