Saturday, November 27

Christchurch teenager Connor Whitehead’s parents speak to media after his death


The parents of 16-year-old Connor Whitehead, who was shot and killed in Christchurch on Friday night, have spoken publicly for the first time.

Watch it from 4:00 p.m. M .:

Connor’s father, James Whitehead, spoke on behalf of Connor’s mother, Cheryl, and the family in general.

“He should have been safe and he should be home with us,” he said.

“Connor was loved by everyone,” including his brother and sisters. “We will always be so proud of him. He had an incredible group of friends … it’s a comfort to us that some of them were with him when he passed away.”

Connor loved music and had put out a song, had plans to go to college, said James Whitehead.

“Connor had dreams,” his father said. The couple were a couple and Connor was looking forward to going to the Spiderman movie and to Snoop Dogg next year.

He thanked everyone who has supported them, including the police and emergency services.

“Right now our focus is on Connor as we plan his funeral and look back at his precious life.”

He ended his statement asking for privacy so that the family can continue to cry.

Detective Sergeant Major Reeves says police are looking for a fifth person in connection with the murder and has a message for those who helped him: “We urge you to put yourself in the shoes of Connor’s family … Connor had all his life ahead. “

“We know there are people who are helping this person,” Reeves said, adding that several search warrants have been executed in his search for the fifth person.

An important team “will work tirelessly to locate the remaining person” and ensure that everyone involved is “held accountable,” he said.

Fifty officers have worked on the investigation since Friday night, he said.

Today police recovered a firearm that they believe is involved in Connor’s death, however police will not reveal where it was found.

“Today’s purpose is to appeal to that person; now is the time to introduce yourself and talk to us.”

Anyone who helps the man will be held accountable, Reeves said.

He said he is confident that the wanted man is “alive and actively avoiding us.”

Connor was attending a party in the suburb of Casebook and was standing outside with his friends when he was shot. He received first aid but died at the scene.

Connor Whitehead, who was fatally shot in Christchurch on November 5, 2021

Connor Whitehead’s death has left a great void in their lives, his family said earlier this week.
Photo: Give a little

Four people are facing charges in the death of the Burnside High School student while a fifth is being searched.

A 32-year-old man has been charged with murder and was due to appear in court today, but remains in hospital recovering from injuries sustained during his arrest Sunday night.

His attorney did not request bail, leaving Judge John Brandts-Giesen to take him into custody.

He will appear in Christchurch Superior Court on November 26 along with three other defendants in connection with the teenager’s death.

A 46-year-old man and two women, 43 and 36, had their request for bail denied when they appeared in Christchurch District Court yesterday.

They were granted the provisional deletion of the name and have been placed in preventive detention.

All are accused of being an accessory to the murder.

In a statement yesterday, Connor’s family said they were devastated by his death and were still trying to come to terms with what happened.

“We are grateful for the great amount of love and support we have received, and the generosity shown by everyone during this difficult time.

“Connor was well loved and his passing has left a great void in our lives. He was a kind, talented and deeply loyal young man with a bright future ahead of him.”

The family’s statement said that Connor was in no way related to or affiliated with the people responsible for his death.


www.rnz.co.nz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *