Saturday, November 27

LynnMall terrorist told prison guards he would hunt them down, documents reveal

The LynnMall terrorist yelled at prison guards that he was being held for terrorism and that he would remember and hunt them down, according to documents released this afternoon.

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - SEPTEMBER 3: Police guard the area around Countdown LynnMall after a violent extremist unleashed a terrorist attack by stabbing six people before being shot by police on September 3, 2021 in Auckland.

Photo: Getty Images 2021

Ahamed Aathill Mohamed Samsudeen was shot and killed by police on Friday after stabbing shoppers in Countdown.

At the time, he was under a supervisory sentence for possessing ISIS propaganda videos and was out on bail for an attack on correctional officers in June.

Documents released today, which are related to charges of assaulting Mt Eden prison officers, show the man was upset over which of the two exercise yards he was destined to use.

One has more sun but was sent to the other as part of a prisoner rotation.

The statement of facts in court shows that he complained that he had injured his wrist while in detention, although the prison hospital could not find any injuries. He then lunged at the prison guards, yelling that he was in prison for terrorism and would remember their faces to find them later, although he used much stronger language.

The documents are part of an issue published today showing the man’s interactions with the courts.

Meanwhile, police have revealed that they did not object to bailing the terrorist in July on charges of assaulting prison officials because they say he would inevitably have failed.

In a statement, police said that at the time of the bail decision he had been in custody on both types of charges for longer than any likely sentence.

Auckland crown lawyer Brian Dickey said the man was sentenced in High Court by Fitzgerald J in July 2021.

“He had been detained on those charges since August 2018 and the starting point of the sentence was set at 7 months in prison. He had been detained in connection with the District Court charges for ten months (September 2020 – July 2021 ).

“Given the nature of the remaining indictments in the District Court, the 10-month prison term was more than the equivalent of any custodial sentence that had been imposed for that crime,” he said.

Furthermore, while a trial date had not yet been set, it would have been some time in 2022, which would have significantly added to the ten months that Mr. Samsudeen had already served. A note from Judge Winter’s decision on bail variation also indicated that the trial date was not likely until the second half of 2022. “

Police said they had objected to bail “numerous times.” They realized that they had exhausted all available options given the time that he had already been detained.

Dickey said that, on the advice of the Auckland Crown Prosecutor’s Office, police determined that continued opposition to bail would inevitably fail.

“If the police had deemed it justified to continue to oppose Mr. Samsudeen’s bail, they would have done so,” he said.

The police began planning his inevitable release.

The terrorist had to live in a particular mosque, not have any internet access device and not threaten anyone with violence.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she believes the authorities did everything possible to keep the country safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *