Saturday, November 27

Police check CCTV to find the mother of the baby left at the Onehunga recycling facility

Police investigating the discovery of a girl’s body at an Auckland recycling facility are reviewing CCTV footage of around 100 trucks to find out how she ended up there.

No title


The baby’s body was discovered on the night of August 16 by a worker who initially thought it was a doll.

Additional advice and support has been offered to plant staff.

The baby was found along with some clothes and a blue plastic bag, of which the police have published photos as part of their investigation.

Detective Inspector Scott Beard said it was not yet clear if those items were related to the baby, but about a dozen people had contacted to share information, which was being followed up.

“For example, some people think they have identified, or know about, the clothes, but it’s taking some time to backtrack where it all came from.

“We don’t know 100 percent if the clothes and that blue bag are really linked to the baby, or if they are just nearby.”

A cause of death has not yet been established for the baby, who was born full-term, and toxicology tests were still underway.

Police have yet to pinpoint an area of ​​the city, or a route, from which it may have reached the recycling facility.

Beard said more than 100 trucks had entered the plant Monday that the body was found, and CCTV images of those trucks were taking a while to review.

“We have to prioritize the time of those trucks and then determine the routes where their trucks have been that day.”

He said the police were keeping an open mind about what might have happened to the baby and were still concerned for his mother’s well-being.

“Look, it could well be that it’s a very young mother there, it could be embarrassing, it could be cultural issues of why the baby was not born in a maternity ward and has been hidden from us … you know there are a variety of reasons and we must keep an open mind. “

He said the mother would need help and support, which was the first priority, but acknowledged that it might not be practical for her, or those who know her, to contact the police.

“Even if you don’t go directly to the police, you go to a counselor, you go to someone – ultimately, we would like them to come to the police, but I understand that that will not always be easy for them, and it could be that they use a third party. to go to the police. “

Until police knew all the circumstances of the baby’s death, Beard said they would not know what they were dealing with.

“It could very well be that every time this is brought up in the media, the issue of the girl, there is a person out there … acting very strange or going into a shell, or something like that.”

He said that people realized that, and if they did, then they should contact the police.

“Let’s find out if it’s the mother or not.”

The Onehunga community has offered support for the baby to rest, including a funeral, gifts and a coffin.

Detective Inspector Beard said police were in no condition to release the baby at this time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *